Gabrea Journal
The ongoing adventures of three Libertines in love!

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Inspiration

I used to mostly only paint when I was inspired by forces bought and sold over illegal markets. Sure, you could call that inspiration, but it was quickly to fade, and the product was questionable in it's soul. That was years ago, and over the last couple years, my inspiration has returned to me in spurts, with all together different muses.

"La Tabla de Sayulita" Acrylic on canvas 2009 (l to r) the artist and his muse

The piece above was my most recent, and artistically, my most advanced painting to date. A Mexican Loteria Card as many of my paintings lately are, I painted it for my friend Nick Sherman's 42nd birthday, and is inspired by his surfboard, the Virgin of Guadalupe, and friendship. Nick loves surfing, and lent me this very board for my first surf session (see previous post). To reflect his worship of the sport, I thought the board should carry a religious significance in the painting, as surfing surely does for Nick and others.


This is my dog Dulce, in Loteria form. This is the latest in a series I am doing for Maximo's room, starting with a Devil Baby card I did not long ago. I love the way she spreads over the 2 cards. My dog is constantly worried, and looking over her shoulder, and I feel I captured that paranoia in her eye. Maximo looks at the painting and says "Doggie!". Mission accomplished.

Powered by Blogger